Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Chain Mails.. Pls stop FW.ing !


I, like all the poeple out there, do get these mails asking to FW further for reasons like..

- if you FW, you will be paid by Microsoft for bla bla bla
- the deceased guy will get so much from AOL for every mail Fw.ed..
- you will have good fortune if you FW this.. ( an easy way to get into the good books of GOD )

Here is a sample one from Bill Gates.. :)

Hello Everyone,

And thank you for signing up for my Beta Email Tracking Application or (BETA) for short. My name is Bill Gates. Here at Microsoft we have just compiled an e-mail tracing program that tracks everyone to whom this message is forwarded to. It does this through an unique IP (Internet Protocol) address log book database...


I normally dont FW it further unless I am sure that it was genuine. But is it really possible to track how many times a particular mail has been forwarded? I was going to say NO. But a quick Googling proved me wrong.. It says even the mail ids will be revealed..

http://www.doctorebiz.com/ says..

E-Mail Wiretapping. A few lines of "invisible" JavaScript included in an HTML e-mail message could e-mail a copy of any forwards to the original e-mailer, along with the e-mail address it is being forwarded to.

OK. So it is trackable. but is there any truth in any of such mails.. I still think it is not.. So I would say, when u get next such mail, pls dont FW and if possible ask your friend to stop doing that.. may be you sending your and others email ID's to the wrong person.. and its a waste of time for all..

Read more.. a nice article "Toxic Excuses"

pls comment if you think otherwise..

No comments: